Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Construction time



A friend of mine once said that doing renovation to the home is a lot like plastic surgery. It usually has to get worse before it gets better. The house actually goes through a healing process. I am feeling it right about now! We are down to bare concrete and a lot of dust! I just can't wait for it to be done. It is different from what I do on the show in that everything I purchase for the show is readily available from Home Depot, Lowes, etc. I do that to show people that it can be done on a budget and in a fast turn around time. Most of the things I have selected for my home are things that were ordered and took a few weeks for delivery. What a drag. I am used to making renovations happen in just a few days.

I hit a major speed bump with the fireplace. My original plan was to add a linear gas fireplace that was about 72" long and 18" high BUT, to my dismay, gas fireplaces are a funny thing. Most need to use their own venting system. Since I am in a condo, I didn't want to mess with it- so I had to revamp my entire design trying to make the one we already have work. I have come up with something very cool and am actually just as excited about this as I was for the long narrow one. Keep checking in for more pics as it starts to come together.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Taniya...

    Congrats on your new condo! LOVE getting (stealing) ideas from your blog!

    Hey, question about that fireplace, I've never seen one 72" long and less than two feet high... I don't get it.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! Sounds crazy, right!? I will post a photo of the fireplace so that you can see what I am talking about. I love it! They have them at www.sparkfires.com. Unfortunately I will not be able to use it in my place, but it is hot! Literally! :)If I was not in a condo- I would get one in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete