Wednesday, February 20, 2008

My favorite new source- Marimekko

Y'know all those gorgeous fabrics that hang in the Crate-n-Barrel stores that separate the displays? I always notice them when I am shopping because they are so cool! They are contemporary colorful printed fabric that looks like art. Well- they use Marimekko fabrics. I stumbled upon the actual store in Silver Springs, MD. I am hooked! You will probably see a lot of it in my up coming shows. They make awesome art! I have been stretching them on a basic wooden frame that the guys built. I am loving the fact that I can make it as large as I want, I splice them up so the pattern continues from frame to frame. I also used another print for some pillows and it added the perfect punch of color. I just ordered a print for my own home (abstract pears)and they have an actual upholsterer in-store that will stretch it or upholster for you. So cool!
My only reason to share this info is that I LOVE Love Love it! My other favorite thing about the store is that they have one super talented manager/designer that is the bomb at giving advice and being very patient (I had about 20 bolts of fabric on the table)! Michael- you rock!
T

4 comments:

  1. Hey Taniya! I live around the corner from that store and I never go in there! I guess I will now! FYI, I love what you do on DTS on HGTV. I wish you had your own show so you could come design my bland new place (no typo...it's pretty generic)! Keep up the good work girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Taniya,
    My name is Kishore. I am a fan of your show and HGTV in general! I also read your blog regularly. I have a friend who designs and creates high end hand crafted home furnishings. She has worked with well known designers and export houses. She has been in the industry for over 25 years. Recently she has started her own business. She only takes custom orders. She holds exhibitions about once a year. She has started a basic website, which she is building upon - www.dartcreations.com. Will you be interested in trying out her creations?
    I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you
    Kishore

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Taniya. Have you done any large scale commercial work (like a large condo building)? I'm on the board of a condo association in DC and we are looking for a designer. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Taniya,

    Love your work, but it is Silver Spring, Maryland-not Silver Springs.

    Libby

    ReplyDelete